Ben Baxter: Program Director
3rd Degree Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Ben Baxter is a Eugene/Springfield native and has been actively practicing martial arts since 1999, at the age of 16. He currently has a Third-degree black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under the instruction of, world champion, Caio Terra. Within in the past five years he has had the opportunity to travel around the world instructing other determined young men and women in the art of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, boxing, Muay Thai, and MMA. His credentials range from coaching well-rounded UFC fighters, to implementing great technique in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu group classes.
Baxter’s most recent accomplishments consist of being a three-time World BJJ medalist, four-time Pan- American BJJ medalist, winning gold at the 2014 Houston International Open, winning gold at the American Nationals, and finishing second at the European BJJ championships in 2009.
Baxter initiated his career as a coach when he was a brown belt. He earned his black belt from Wellington “Megaton” Diaz in June of 2009. Professor Baxter was awarded his 1st and 2nd degrees on his black belt by Rafael Lovato Jr, and his 3rd degree in 2019 by Caio Terra.
In addition to teaching at the Eugene/Springfield academy, Ben also does volunteer work in the community and recently traveled overseas to support our troops. Twice in 2012, he did USO tours, the first one to Afghanistan (the first ever of it’s kind), and most recently, traveled to the middle east and Africa.
Additional information on Ben Baxter can be found at BJJ Heroes .
- 2018 American Nationals Gold Medalist (black)
- 2018 American Nationals NoGi Silver Medalist (black)
- IBJJF Las Vegas Spring Open Gold Medalist (2015 black Absolute Class)
- IBJJF Las Vegas Spring Open Silver Medalist (2015 black)
- Houston International Open Gold Medalist (2014 black)
- Houston International Open Gold Medalist (2014 black Absolute Class)
- American Nationals Gold Medalist-No Gi (2013 black)
- American Nationals Bronze Medalist-Gi (2013)
- European Open Silver Medalist (2009 brown)
- Houston Open Silver Medalist (2010)
- World Bronze Medalist (2007 purple, 2008 & 2009 brown)
- Pan American Bronze Medalist (2007 purple, 2009 brown)
- Las Vegas Open Bronze Medalist (2010 absolute)
- World Pro Cup Trials – Las Vegas 3 place (2011)